SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: Speed and Drive scoring

You asked for opinions so that’s what this is, my opinion. On the first crossing I would score them 20 30 40 50. I have judged many hunts over the years and very few crossings I have got where the hounds crossed nose to tail, which is what they would have to do if hounds were not allowed to be anywhere but exactly on the the same track the game was on. As we know that is not going to happen. In my opinion it’s a sorry hound that can’t run a peice if his nose is not stuck directly where the game went. I’ve seen hounds that could run the heck out of something 20-30 yards off the track. On the second crossing I would score them 20 30 first and second. Then it would be according to a couple things which hound would be third. If I saw the hound that crossed behind but couldn’t read his number the crossing would over. As the rules state, if you miss the number of a hound in a crossing you don’t score anymore hounds. Now if you just didn’t see him cross it’s a no brainer. You can’t score what you don’t see. His tuff luck. Not the first time or the last that will happen. If you don’t see the hound cross, then the second crossing would go 20 30 50. Just common sense!!

God Bless
    Bobby

30 yards down wind is for speed an drive not babbling... babbling is when a dog interfers with a race don't have to be in a race to interfer with one he can babble up the rd an dogs pull to him that's interfering it's messing up the other dogs... u can score up to 30yards down wind a crossing that's ur judgement as well if you miss a number u stop scoring an it happens 90 percent of the problem is hunters don't leave the fire barrel an only rely on the GPS... it's great but it works best for catching dogs not judging them when pleasure hunting

Yep Bobby, it is common sense but I have heard several have the opposite opinion you have about a hound running wide and a very talented hound end up getting penalized. Just hope any time we have good discussion that we all can learn from it. Thanks. Now send me a good white gyp to put under my Heybo dog.