SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    A gentlemans sport

I attended my first field trial in 8-10 years Saturday and I was shocked at how much has changed. Before all this toning and shocking stuff came about at the end of the hunt almost everyone would enter the pen and at least make an effort to catch every dog they seen, even the old timers that have well earned the right to keep their seat. Saturday I watched countless trucks ride by dog after dog without thinking about stopping, crowds who are well within the age of having good "dog catching legs" sit by the holding pen and wait for someone else to catch their dog,some that didn't even bother to enter the pen until the garmin said their dog was in the catch pen, and another group watch me completely fill my box from 100 yards away and not even make an attempt to lend a hand or bring another box so I had to leave dogs standing in the road.
    Ladies and gentlemen our sport is under constant scrutiny every single day and if we cant be sportsman and gentlemen like to each other then how will we act around anti-hound groups? Be a good sportsman, a gentleman, help your neighbor (whether he be a houndsman or an anti) and lets show the world that houndsmen are worthy of respect and that we earn our rights not just exercise them and if you cant be a gentleman find another sport cause this has always been and will always be a GENTLEMANS sport.

Re: A gentlemans sport

Tony this may be the best post I have EVER READ on speeddog.

Thanks, I appreciate it! Hopefully someone will read it and take it to heart.

amen brother

You are exactly right. And I've been fortunate enought to attend some trials where people were extremely helpful. In my opinion the social part of the dog trial is the best part. I love meeting other houndsmen and seeing what they feed. No one can win all the time but you can be a good sport all the time.