SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: How Many All Americans you Been 2

This will be my 7th. Saw the record at Manning and saw trucks parked almost all the way to hiway at Pamplico.
    I sure hope you get that cooler.
    I have been to every major hunt that there is that moves around including the Masters and Nationals and USO. Saw the Truck given away at the Top Gun.
    Nothing tops the ALL AMERICAN. It is the pinnacle. Hope to make the cut again this time.It is an awesome hunt to see so many of foxhunting absolute best foxhunters. Can't wait to attend my first All American on the outside.

Lenny I have only missed 2 since 1990. That year, I rode to Picayune to judge with Mr. and Mrs. Hansford Alderman and Mr. and Mrs. Fenton Quisenberry in a Bronco II with no sleep. What a ride that was!

I ran hounds the year that Voyage won and also when Norman Howard's Maggy won it. I still say she is the best hound that I have ever judged and she was lemon and white!

I believe one of the top field trials that I have ever attended was the 2008 hunt at Pamplico when Dale and Marty Morris won. I have never seen a better class of hounds together in one place and the running was outstanding.
    Brinchek will remember that one because he won the show.

While I have judged several times and Mastered 3 times, I have also enjoyed running. Lenny is right about the cut announcement. Even last year, I felt like I had stuck my finger in a light socket when Pete called out Wildfire's number.

It is also exciting when the Nichols Award and Folsom Award winners are honored. These go to folks who have paid their dues and deserve the recognition.

I am glad to see that we are giving the Ring away again this year. No other hunt has awards such as this and this is why the All American is what it is. If we continue to have good support, there is no telling what type of awards will be given away in the future.

It's only 2 weeks away now and I am getting excited. Since I have been honored to be able to Master the hunt again this year, I will not be picking favorites. I am just glad to see that folks like Lenny and Brian are getting things stirred up a bit.

We have 34 judges who have agreed to come and they are all experienced and knowledgeable folks. I look forward to seeing everyone in a couple of weeks.

Re: How Many All Americans you Been

Not for sure how many All Americans that I have been to but I finished 2nd one year to Russell's Rooster at Pamplico. One year at Pamplico we carried 8 dogs and all were eligible for the last day and 4 made the cut. We won the bench show the year there was over a 1000 dogs at Manning and had the highest scoring dog the first day with 25 to hunt and 85 speed! The All American is the top of the class! I have run dogs at the USO , NC State, SC State, Pee Dee, National, Futurity, Virginia St., and etc. None compare to the All-American. Also won classiest hound one year and I think it was the last year we ran it at Pamplico . Good luck to everybody that goes this year. I can not go because of work.

Re: How Many All Americans you Been

Paul you guys were always strong and those accomplishments would be at the top of anyone's list. Man hate y'all can't make it this year. We gonna have a blast. It will hopefully be back east next year for the 50th running of the All American. If you holding something that needs to go, I sure could use 1 good hound to take. Be good and make plans for next year to come put the pressure on.
    Jeff that is awesome and THANKS for all you do.
    Bill and Mike are doing an awesome job. The honored part about just attending is so true with the All American. That is exactly how I feel

My first All American was in Picayune, Mississippi in 1989. JR House and his son Dennis and I left on Friday evening and drove all night long to get there. We drew our numbers and headed to the kennels where Lewis Garner helped us get two kennels for our hounds. We had just won the speed and drive at the USO and took six hounds. It was a who's who of the field trial world and I was honored to just be there.

We had just bought our first tracking system from Wildlife and the week before the collars came but the box was delayed for another month. Back then it took months to get stuff because Johnson and Wildlife were wild open with this new invention called tracking collars. I took the collars anyway and told JR I would find someone with a box to help us. We had the 216 frequency and the only people that had that were Mickey Kennedy and Mr. Folbey from Illinois. Everyday we went into the pen and caught hounds and each time I seen Mickey & Folbey they would check our hounds for us and help. The friendship I have with Mickey today started at that All American like so many more.

It was wall to wall running the first day, but three trailing scores were posted and my McAdoo hound had one of them. He ended up going down for loafing with 8 minutes to go on day three which was OK because he had split open one of his front pads that day and could not go for weeks after because of it. We did have two make the cut, McAdoo's brother Popeye and their mother Lady Girl. We failed to crack the top ten but man what a week I will never forget.

Unfortunately, my work and vacation time did not allow me to attend many All American's in the 90s. JR did go one time to Pamplico and stayed with Doug Landingham but we did not make the cut. That was in 1997 and all I could do was go down on Saturday and help number the hounds then back to work.

I was asked to and able to judge the 2000 hunt in Grenada, the 2001 in Sand Sifters, and the 2002 in Manning. This was a wonderful experience too, getting to meet and work with some of the best judges ever to use a pencil and pad. Plus the trip to and from Florida riding shotgun with Lonnie Ward was better than any roller coaster I ever was on.

Since then I have run most of the All Americans but not all because on not being able to get off of work. I ran at Manning, Pamplico and Grenada and enjoyed everyone I attended. Especially the year in Pamplico winning the bench show with Jack.

I could not make the year Mud Flap won it for Chubby, but knowing I bred and raised him until Chubby got him at four months old made me proud.

I have only had my name called out one time in the field over the years, that was in 2014 at Grenada when my Ronnie hound won first place trailing. He did not even HGA, he was tied for 10th. That is why I say the All American is the hardest field trial to place in ever, and those that are consistent at it need to be commended, because I know I have had some good hounds at it to never HGA one.

This year I am honored to be the President. I cannot wait to get there and see everyone and I hope everyone has safe travels to and from the hunt. I will miss my dear friend Chubby Paul, but I am sure he will be with us in spirit. I was planning a special evening for him to receive the A.N. Nichols Award, but now it will be a more somber event.

Thanks to Mike Carr for all he has done as Secretary. Every time I think of something that needs doing he has already done it. I have been blessed over the years as President of major field trials with my secretaries, from Connie House in 1995 when I was president of the USO, to Nancy Verling when I was President of the Nationals in 2006 and 2007, and now Mike Carr.

I am also not worried about the field trial part because our Master of Hounds is Bill McGee who leaves nothing to chance. Bill will go down in history as one of the best masters along with people like Emmett Guy, Gerald Simmons, Wallace Dempsey, Charlie Boyd, Charles Graham, Bobby Cleghorn, Ebbie McElveen, Hubert Clemmons, Lonnie Ward and Pete Warren to mention a few. Bill will also have 35 capable and qualified judges to help him and I am not worried about anything pertaining to their job at the hunt.

So, with all this help I am going to do what Mike Carr told me to do. Mike said "Just sit back and enjoy the ride".

Good luck to all that attend and hope you make some great memories like I have over the years at the 2016 All American.

Jeff Brinchek