SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    Current threat to hound hunting in Virginia

Most of the membership of Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance(VAHDA) has already received the message below at a recent VAHDA Chapter meeting. If you have not attended a meeting in your area, please review the below message and please take action. We need your support.

At the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries(DGIF) Board meeting, a group called for DGIF to take action against hound hunters in Virginia. Three speakers called for the regulation of deer hunting with hounds along the lines of the Florida/Georgia plan that called for requiring large contiguous tracts of lands, registering hunt clubs, hounds and individual hunters. The fourth speaker singled out Hound Field trials wanting them abolished, a prohibition on shooting within 25 yards of the road and other efforts. Make no mistake their intent is to end hunting with hounds in Virginia.

NOW IS THE TIME TO ACT
    • Call and email your Board members and DGIF HQ NOW.
    • Get everyone that you know to do the same.
    • Ask those you rent land from to make calls also.

The message to share is:
    1.I live in (County), Virginia and I request no new study by DGIF on hunting with hounds.
    2.The problems are grossly exaggerated. DGIF’s data shows there is NO widespread problem. Why not accept DGIF’s own information?
    3. Problems are so few that county sheriffs and many legislators have not heard of the issue.
    4.Georgia lost 30% of their hunters and 40% of the hunt clubs when they introduced these harsh measures. This would negatively impact Virginia’s already fragile rural economy.

The message for Landowners to share is:
    1.I live in (County), Virginia. I own land that I lease, rent, or permit a club to hunt with dogs.
    2.I would not allow club members to abuse my neighbors
    3.The revenue I receive from hunt clubs using dogs cannot be replaced by few still hunting groups who do not need the larger acreages that I rent OR I am dependent of rent to pay my taxes. This would negatively impact Virginia’s already fragile rural economy.
    4.The problems are grossly exaggerated. DGIF’s data shows there is NO widespread problem. Why not accept DGIF’s own information?

The message for your local Merchants to share is:
    1. I own a business in (county), VA, that serves large numbers of customers who hunt with dogs.
    2.A significant portion of my yearly sales occur during hunting season. Anything that you do to hurt my local hunt club hurts my bottom line.
    3.The problems are grossly exaggerated. DGIF’s data shows there is NO widespread problem. Why not accept DGIF’s own information?

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/about/board/

Board of Game and Inland Fisheries

dgif.virginia.gov

Thank you for your support!

Re: Current threat to hound hunting in Virginia

I live in Mecklenburg County. I am requesting that no new hound hunting study be conducted. The problems are grossly exaggerated and propagated by a few individuals who oppose hound hunting. DGIF's own data shows that there is no widespread problem, I feel that the DGIF data should be accepted rather than a new study. The problems are so few and far between that many county sheriffs and most county legislators have not heard of the issue. Georgia lost the majority of its hunter, clubs and the money into the local economies when their rules were established. In VA the fractured and small nature of land tracts would essentially end hound hunting if a requirement for large contiguous tracts was established. Please consider these facts and the impact on fragile rural economies and say no to a new hound hunting study.

Thanks.

feel free to copy paste

Well said Larry. Thank you for speaking up.

Sent my emails. I want my son to enjoy hound hunting the way I have.

Good job Jason. I hope others do the same.