SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    Good Story

Thought I would share a good story seeing that this board has really seemed to have lost some of its luster. I will try to relate this to you the very best that I can seeing that it has been a few years since it was told to me by the legendary David Hellums. If I make a mistake it will be accidental. In the mid 90's I first attended the Futurity and Nationals in Grenada and had the opportunity to visit at length with Mr. Hellums one day. We were discussing different things about hounds and field trialing and he told me this story. If I remember correctly, Mr. Hellums stated that at the time this story happened he had two children in college, money was tight, and he was still trying to compete in field trials. He made plans to attend a trial and took one or more young boys with him, can't remember if they were neighbors or what, just that they went. Mr. Hellums said they got to the kennels and were unloading and one of the young boys said to him, "Mr. Hellums, those people were laughing at us." He said his old truck was in bad shape and the fenders were about to fall off of it and he assumed that was what the men were laughing about. He told the young boy not to worry about it and went on about his business. Well, by the time the hunt was over Mr. Hellums had won about everything there was to win in the show, field, and combinations. They were preparing to leave and as they pulled out to head home with trophies and their winnings piled in and on that old truck the little boy said "Mr. Hellums, those people ain't laughing at us now." Mr. Hellums had a big grin on his face as he finished telling this story. I have thought of this story many times and it just goes to show "you can't judge a book by the cover."

Re: Good Story

Good story

Re: Good Story

Hello Jason. Your story is a good one. I have known Mr. David Hellums since my childhood and he is not only one of the most competitive hunters but one of the most genuine. He has had some great hounds down through the years and left a permanent mark of excellence in foxhunting. He's a man of little flash but a great deal of substance, a bona fide gentleman.

Susan Alewine