SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: Breeding question

I start counting the day I saw the first blood.This has always worked for me!! Hope this helps!! God bless and happy hunting/running

Donnie, in most cases the nineth day would be the earlest "standing heat" day. If at all possibe breed on the 2nd, 4th, & 6th day of standing heat. This would take care of any error you might of made as well as most any gyp because they all are different.
    It might be Friday before we go back to the SDWC. Maybe you guys will see Bullwinkle before then. You guys have a great Christmas!

Have a merry Christmas too George . I don't have any trouble with breeding at home I just keep putting them together till it works it's when I go off I seem to have trouble breed 5 last year and only got 2litters I really need a few more got one coming in now and really need to get her caught . See y'all there

Start counting from the first day you see blood and breed on the 11th day and you will hit just right. 9 days is usually too early.You can breed on tenth but 11th is sure bet.

Donnie,
    I start trying on the 7th day after I see blood. Like Jeff I have bred 'em on day 11. I have noticed some gyps will take a little earlier. The gyps will tell ya if they are ready. Put a male in the pen with her, if she snaps you are too early, if she throws the tail chunck her in the dog box and take off. I've seen gyps stand late in the cycle but not early. If they throw the tail they are ready.

I have bred 4 in the last couple years on day 7 and 8....had more females than males. Bred on day 13 or so and missed.

Old trick of sorts, when you have a Gyp that's coming in if you have her in a pen with other Gyps she will start to play with them and then try to ride, the trick is going to be when the other Gyps are trying to ride her and other Hounds. Another one of the things I look at to see is the males are going to be going to be checking out all the Hounds in the pen. They can smell and know that there is a Gyp that's coming in but not sure which.
    Last and most tell tell sign, when you are feeding up take your finger and rub the side of her back leg and if she is ready her tail will turn out just don't go to far. Generally if you breed early or late the you will have more males or Gyps use a few things that has been stated by the rest and you will be good to go and have the Puppies that are half and half and you will have a better mix of the Hounds you are breeding to get the traits of each for the best pup.