SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    training young dogs

I am a first year walker owner and have had several ideas about how to get these dogs started. I'm about hearing the dogs run and throwing lead at a decent buck. The pens are not for us long term. How would you start a puppy? Also include phone numbers if needed. I'm from eastern NC any input is appreciated.

Re: training young dogs

I have been running hounds for over 20 years and have started a lot of puppies. By far I'm no expert but have had good success in several ways .
    First thing is that you need to know walkers are different from other deer hounds . If you have had hounds before go with what has worked. But first thing is that you need to be able to handle the hounds . This starts as a puppie . Spend time in the pen with them calling them to you and petting them and letting them trust you . That's a huge help when it is time to catch up .
    No matter what if you are hunting outside on deer do not start them on coyotes. Find a pen with nothing but fox preferably more grey fox . Get them to running good on fox then as soon as you get them out of the starting pen get a good older deer hound and turn them out together. It's a good idea to keep the puppies with the older hound so that they are used to being around them . In the past I have put young hounds in a pen with an older hound and just started turning them out on the outside on deer and they not only started but learned from the older hound and copied some or most of what the older hound did. Try to run as much as you can hunt them once or twice a week until they are going like you want then take them by themselves and let them take control of the race. Find some big tracks learn what a Buck track is an turn out on the track do that often so they learn to hunt from tailgate. Also when you see a deer let them out by themselves to be able to handle the deer Chase then you see if they can go and run a track strong alone.
    Get them to running and being caught off the track. That is helpful when you want to catch up off a doe or to recast. You have to work with the hounds not just turn them out and leave them. Get them leash broke early as well as used to following you out of the woods . You should get ideas about starting from several hunters who have been around a while then choose the way that you want to try and get them going.
    I have had hounds before that started themselves by getting out of there the pen if you have a place to let them run around free where they can see a deer or get in some woods where there are plenty of deer let them run turn a older hound out and run them together. Dont run young hounds with hounds that are already running strong as they need to be able to handle the hounds they are going with and take the lead make the pick up and get out front. If all they smell is a track from behind another hound they want know what to do on there own. That's where the older hound is good or even some beagles.
    Stay away from coyotes until after they are running good on there own then you can carry them to running a few coyotes to get more speed if you don't intend on competing them then just get them going and run them Outside run the fire out of them. Hope this helps And Good Luck. You will be happy Hunter when the first deer Chase ends with a deer on the dogbox from in front of your hounds. Don't get no better than having a deer shot from in front of your hounds .
    252-639-1231 call any time I live in Eastern N C as well