SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: Can you breed a l/w hound with another hound and get b/t pups?

Its all depending on the dogs and the DNA in the area of split chromosones that cross together. I have got a few that were just like the females in color and ran like the sire and then had some that looked like the sire ran like both mixed as well as looked like sire ran like gyp and every where in between . The first few crosses on a sire with different gypsis where you Willi See if the sire is throwing dominant genes . You are going to have moo cows regardless just part of the running hounds and breed . I like blanket back hound r&w or solid color but in the end what is the most important is what they can do with a track when they hit the ground for the first race .

Brood Gyps and Running Dogs Forsale

Please contact for more information on breeding.They have run both in pens and outside.Some have placed in trials.Call 613-473-5339

Re: Brood Gyps and Running Dogs Forsale

yea see thats the problem Treetall, I dont want no **** milk cows. I wonder what will happen if I bred to a red gyp or a r/w gyp?

u need to breed the lemon an white male dog to a blck an tan gyp u will get sum spotted pups but u will get a black an tan or 2 sell the rest if u breed the male to a red an white dog u will get red an white spotted pups or red wit white points just my opion good luck

There is really no way to know. I bred a lemon and white gyp to a black and tan dog once and got 9 black and tan pups, none were spotted. You are not just breeding those two dogs, you are breeding their ancestors and they can go back and pick up genes from several generations.

Re: color

Chromosones... is the answer. I believe there are 78 chromosones in a dog or 39 pair. Half of the chromosones come from the sire and the other half from the gyp. With color, the pair could both be dominate, which is black. Or even pattern, solid.

Yes, even if your sire is white, you can get solid blanketbacks either red or black if you breed to the right hounds, the gyp would have to contain dominate color within that pair of chromosones. I have a male that will throw either solid red or solid black blanketback, no saddlebacks, no spotted, solid blanketbacks. Does not matter what color the female. His sire was exactly the same, solid white female with either of them would produce solid black or solid red blanketbacks.

But, if the gyp were solid blanketback with a recessive white chromosone, you will probably get spotted mainly.

It all depends on the chromosones. What dominate or recessive chromosones the gyp and sire contain.

If you had black hounds with white recessive in each of their color pair, you possibly could get a white pup. The average of this is low compared to black because black is dominate.

Technically, people are wrong when they say a gyp is 70% of getting good pups, because she only gives 50% genetically. I just think a good producing gyp seems to have dominate genes within the pair of chromosones, with those genes passing on to the pups.

Don, exactly right. When breeding, you are not simply breeding to a male and a female. You are breeding to generations of what someone has HOPEFULLY put a lot of time and thought into. Said it before and will always say it. Nothing is more important to a GOOD houndsman than breeding-

John Foster

Re: Jeffrey

I see that your girls have been helping you with your homework again!

Re: Jeffrey

Dang Johnson,,,,That is a little heavy for this dog crowd,,,,Me Included,,,,,,I am going to print that out and sent it to your folks. Might make them feel better about that college education..

My OPinion,,,,,,,,,,,,,I Have been breeding white hounds since the mid eighty,s and have watched what people have bred to white dogs and the colors of there offspring.

As to the black and tan color phase, I got hooked up with Warren and Greorge Sharpe back in the early 90,s

They were breeding to Thirsty Guinea C. at the time and raised about 25 litters a year.
    What I noticed when they bred a White female regardless or the number of L&W hounds in there pedigrees they would get a true black and tan puppy about every other litter. Now they got alot of rank colored puppys in the mix too.

I think breeding for color AND all the other traits you need in a hound is part of the game, In My Opinion it is the differnce in a Breeder of hounds and someone who just breeds. MY Opinion.

You will have to get alot of females bred and you will have to keep only the B&T hounds and cull through them for quality but in time you can put together a decent pack. But only one L&W female brood hound is going to be Very Patient ordeal.

Had me some of the chromes years ago and some white ones too. They looked good on my old Chevy!!