SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: HARVEY!

HARVEY...AINT NO LIE MAN, YA'LL GOT'EM THERE!! YOU GOT ME EXCITED NOW! WILL BE THERE WITHIN 3 WEEKS AT SOME POINT. GOT A GOOD REPORT ON THE WIFE YESTERDAY SO GONNA RABBIT HUNT A FEW TIMES THIS WEEK AND HUNTING WITH YA'LL AND MY CLUB SOME TILL THE SEASON GOES OUT AND GONNA PUSH TIM SHIPMAN OUT THE WAY FOR ONE OF THEM RANK AZZ DEER YA'LL GOT!! LMAO!! GONNA BRING OYSTERS AND SOME MAKER'S MARK TOO!! SEE YOU SOON MAN!!

JOHN FOSTER

This chase took place more than a few years ago, in the southern-most section of the great Canadian North.
    In Canada, there isn't just North. There is near-North, mid-North and far-North. This took place in the near-North, where a small block is just a few hundred square miles.
    We were running black and tan coon hounds at the time -- long ears, big musical mouths. Hounds can only be legally run on deer for two weeks a year in Canada, so they were a bit out of shape.
    The hounds jumped a fawn in a spruce-cedar swamp surrounding a five-acre beaver pond, encompassed by maple, elm and oak hardwood hills.
    The hounds put the fawn past Uncle Floyd, a truthful man and a dead shot, who disdained to waste a cartridge on this tiny deer. He just admired the white spot on it's left flank, shaped kind of like the state of Iowa. He failed to catch the hounds because of rough terrain and trying to decide which state or province the white mark most closely resembled, and they continued on.
    A year passed. Then two. Nothing was heard from the missing black and tans. They had vanished into the great Canadian North, like black ghosts. Some hunters claimed, on still nights, they could still hear those big bugle mouths echoing on the hardwood hills, but that might have been the booze talking.
    Three years later on a frosty November morning, my same uncle was hunkered down beneath a big, white birch when he heard the staccato chop of a pair of hounds driving game.
    Then he heard the pounding of hooves and a whirlwind whoosh in the frosted oak leaves littering the forest floor. Coming off the white oak drumlin to his right, was the biggest buck he'd ever seen in his life -- a massive 16-pointer.
    Raising the trusty Lee Enfield .303 that had brought him safely through WW11, he drew careful aim and fired. The stag plowed a huge furrow in the frozen leaves and came to rest on its right side, exposing a large white mark.
    Three hours later a pair of rail-thin black and tan hounds emerged on the deer's trail, their once powerful bugles now reduced to common chops. Their collars hung loosely on bone-thin necks.
    To his astonishment, Uncle Floyd realized it was the pair of hounds that had taken the fawn past him three years previously.
    To his utter amazement, he realized, from the white spot on the left flank that his massive animal was the same little fawn he's seen 1,095 days previously.
    The Iowa-shaped spot had grown into one the size of California, but it was obviously the same deer. Because of the somewhat belated pursuit of the black and tans it had been able to feed and grow all during this remarkable three-year pursuit.
    The black and tans recovered nicely, which just proves once again, you can't lose a bad hound.
    The massive head hangs in the basement of Uncle Floyd's second grandson. If you don't believe me, you can ask him.
    Not sure how many miles this continuous three-year chase covered, but it's the longest deer chase I ever heard of, even in Canada.

Hey Eric,... Are you sure they weren't Hill's dogs?

R. Kyle Stotesberry
    252-809-9124

Kyle, Maybe a double cross of Finlay River Banjo.

Now THAT is a deer hunting story!! Mr Emerson, my buddy Mr Bruce" theLegend" Onion didn't happen to be there did he?

I believe Uncle Floyd got those hounds from Bruce.

I thought he had something to do with it!!!!!!

AT THE ENID LAKE HUNT A FEW YEARS BACK, WE HAD A PACK OF HOUNDS GO FROM THE DEAD END RD.(CAST) TO JUST A COUPLE MILES FROM BULLDOG MYERS' HOUSE. THAT IS PAST 4 CORNERS, SOUTH ACROSS THE THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE LAKE, THRU THE DUCK REFUGE, ACROSS HWY 8, AND ANOTHER 5 TO 8 MILES SOUTH. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW MANY MILES THAT IS BUT I KNOW ITS A LONG DANG WAY. DUNNO IF THEY WERE AFTER THE SAME GAME THE WHOLE TIME OR NOT.

Re: long distance deer chase

This is not a deer Chase but was long distance. I jumped a big white and silver coyote off of the terrible road and schull Rd block on Vanceboro hunting club several years ago. The coyote crossed what we call wire grass ridge went to the swamp, back to the same block I jumped him in 5of the12 hounds took him down in a knew cut-over at county line road and schull Rd block .
    He got away from them and decided to get it out of their .He headed out of the club by way of the John block went straight across the welbourn Rd block into the water hole block this is around 6miles from original jump block add the trip to the swamp and back plus once he crossed into water hole block he went to the candy Cain block cruised across the ccc road to hawbranch club crossed varner road then went across the grey road into southside club. From here he made a bee line out of there and proceeded to cross several highways 11 hounds within 100 yards or less behind him . He ,crossed Hwy 43, 17 and several hard surface roads in between . I got a couple hounds off him behind the Pamlico or whatever the cotton gin is north of Vanceboro caught back up with 9 hounds still running him behind the tri county fox pen. I called Allen Lawson and he directed me to where I could go to get in front of them. I caught the last hounds as the coyote crossed the path I was on. Still same white and silver coyote they started out on. It took a total of four hours to get to where I was at and caught the last hounds. Had to use GPS to get back to the club checked straight line miles it was 16 miles from where they jumped him . And don't know how much by the road to get back in the club . I lost one hound out of this race and never saw him again no track no sighn of him being hit never got him back and never could track him. I was thankful that I did not loose more of my hounds than the one. Never heard of our ran into the coyote again. It was interesting that he went from deep in to a good piece of woods ran as far as he had been and he ended up directly behind a fox pen. Things that make you say that was interesting.