SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: FASTEST PUPS THAT HAVE STARTED!

3 months old.

carried a female puppy at 4 months old with me hunting had hounds running in the woods and had brought her along just to get used to riding loading and unloading let her out to run around while hounds were running she started smelling deer tracks on the road hit a good one started opening had to catch her before she went off in the woods. Next week took her and turned her out with beagles and she ran with em. Two weeks later deer season came in and the second week hunting buddy killed nice buck in front of her she was running it all by herself he decided to stay with her while we followed the pack heard him shoot she came out on the track and was one of the best jump dogs ever owned and all of her pups were same as her. Wish I had a dozen like her now.

I've had more than a few 4-5 month old pups running deer but all were started in the rabbit pen at 4 mths.

The most impressive is a female I have now. She trailed a 30 min old deer track until she jumped it and ran the fire out of it by herself. It was her second time in the deer woods. She was started in the rabbit pen though too.

I had the chance to buy 3 outta the litter for $50 apiece (already started in the rabbit pen too) and he sold them all before I could run back and buy them.

ya'll ever notice how more often than not the ones that start late turn out great-

had my share of early starters myself and some mighty good ones at that....but the ones who start a little late seem to have it right in the head beforehand... just saying- good hunting

John Foster

EVERY pup that I had start exceptionally early that I thought any of turned out to be an exceptional PUPPY and an AVERAGE DOG. The later starting ones get progressively better, even later in age. As long as they are running before 10-11 months old I dont care.

But I have witnessed James' 3 month old beagles run a cottontail rabbit in that rabbit pen. That is by far the earliest I have ever seen.

Rooster, is the james your talking about the one who runs the training pen? A re those pups his stock or was he breaking them. I would definitly like to have some pups out of them if they are running at three months. I have heard james does really good with pups. He has broke some pups for my buddy if its the same guy.

John I herd you say that a many time. But my favoritr FOSTER QUOTE IS THE BIGGER HIS $%#HOLE THE BETTER THE DOG! IF HE CAN WINK AT YOU WHILE WALKINMG IN FRONT YOU HE IS BAD TO THE BONE!!!! LMAO!!! Coming to see you soon man! Hope you wife is doing better!!

Blake, that is the same James.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to start a pup at 3 or 4 months old? They are not even close to being developed enough at that age to be running? Just wondering?

Logan O'Neal---Rollin' Deep Kennels
    Just out of curiosity, why would you want to start a pup at 3 or 4 months old? They are not even close to being developed enough at that age to be running? Just wondering?

True...somewhat. They're not developed enough to run a long time.

I have seen first hand, foxhounds starting at 6 months and almost completely ruining their front ends because most folks leave them in the starting pen for a week. I dont like to leave mine a few days. I dont even try to start mine until about 6-8 months old, depending on how built they are. With that being said, if they're young, its no different than letting you pups stay in a large dog pen to develop, so long as you DONT run the pup down. James was only letting his pups run 20-30 min. I believe they started kinda on accident when he was just walking them around.

I dont claim to have the best hounds and prolly far from it and just because they start early doesntmean they are gonna be extroidinary but I start mine as soon as they are weaned.When I say start I mean letting them out for a few minutes a day and walking around ,calling them by name.I had my pups running early by lettin them mess with a rabbit hide or young rabbit.Mine were sight chasing at 8 weeks old and jumping and running rabbits at 3 months and 1 week.As for a fox hound,if I fox hunted I would do the same thing,just when they start running I wouldnt leave them in the pen for a week.Let them run for an hour or 2 and pull em out.A running hound that young runs a lot harder and more cossitant that a beetle dog so your more likly to blow him out when he starts young and runs hiself stupid.As he gets older give him a little more time.For those of you that are shaking your heads and thinking its bull**** well give it a try,its a pleasure to hunt with a decent dog that handles well and knows what you want out of him than an decent dog that is wild as hell and hard to catch.I just had my first outside rabbit race on a WILD rabbit at fourmonths old and they ran him for 35 minutes and did a pretty good job at that so with the right blood it does help.HAPPY HUNTING FELLAS!