SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: Ken

Rod Vinson
    I will try to answer some of your questions as they were passed to us.

1. There is no guarranteed rite to retrieve now on posted land as the law reads today.

Understand that, but I thought that was one of the things we were supposedly gaining on compromising.... Either way, just want to make sure everyone is aware that it is NOT in there.

Rod Vinson

2. Yes you have to have written permission on posted land on your persons. However, if your hunt club leases the land they will give you the permission slip.

Right, but while still hunters may only have a couple pieces of paper involved, as a dog hunter, I may go on 100 different people's lands in order to retrieve dogs.... (and quite a few more that I would need "just in case" the dog went there...) I still don't understand the obsession with not only having written permission, but having to have a couple hundred pieces of paper on me everywhere I go...

Rod Vinson

3. Nothing has changed as the law reads today on posted land except now a game warden can give you a ticket for not having the written permission.

Well, that's a pretty big change. Right now, if Blah Hunt Club tells my hunt club it's ok to go on the land, we can just go. Now, we have to make sure anyone and everyone has a piece of paper...including people who aren't members if they're guests.

Rod Vinson

4. If your daughter is hunting under your hunting liscense no your permission is good enough. They also said you can get written permission with guest on the slip.

Well, she has her own license. Not sure where you get the guest thing from...I'm looking at the bill right now and there's nothing about a guest in it. It says that if you're there, you have to have the written permission. (period)

Rod Vinson

6. I understand your thoughts on the pine straw issue some where between the cracks it was slipped in, probally from someone that wants to stop people from getting pinestraw off the land by stealing it???

Well, the current law already says that if you put up a specific sign that prohibits raking or removing pine straw, then they have to have written consent. The change basically now says that if I post it for hunting or fishing, then I automatically post it for pine straw whether I intended to or not....

Rod Vinson

This bill only makes you have to have written permission on posted land and a game warden can now enforce it with other law enforcement officials. and the pine staw deal.... We asked to be able to get verbal permission to retrieve your dog and they wont in favor of this deal but we didn't push so hard because it is much better than the proposed bill. We just hope they don't try anything before the bill reaches the Governor.

I think the biggest problem I have is the fact that they can prosecute someone for being on my land whether I want them to or not. And then to claim they're protecting landowner rights and really, there's absolutely nothing in this that protects anything. If the land is posted, it's already illegal to go on it without permission. Why make it more complicated? I really don't see ANY gain to me from this bill as EITHER a land owner OR a hunter.... Everyone else can do what they want, but I'm writing and recommending a "no" vote to anyone who will listen....

If I remember correctly the right to retrieve in the compromise was only on UN POSTED land..I am pretty sure the posted land retrival died the first day it was talked about...Where it is at now?,,,Well land is Not Posted....
    If they had asked me I would have gave them the posted land permission and Game Warden writing tickets any way. That is common sense and I cannot beleive they had not had it( And I hunt in a county where this will change)
    But I THINK the written permission thing will tell Law officers who has a right to be there so fewer tickets are written incorrectly and less court cases where law enforcement is found in the wrong. Again this is what I think and have nothing to back it up.

As for the purple paint deal, I think this is just plain stupid..When a sign cost a quarter and the owners name and contact info should be on it for the Law enforcment guys and hunters to contact,,,Also only a land owner should be able to put up purple paint NOT A LESSEE,,,,They may not lease it but one year and then it becomes open,,,Alot of confusion in my opinion waiting to happen..

But at least they are not going to inpound a vehicle if the tires are parked off the right of way of road in the wrong place. Anyway my two cents, I may be screaming bloody murder if they figure a way to abuse this later,,,And I guess some guys are going to have to lease some land as a anchor point so to speak that have never had to join a club or lease any land at all in the past..But maybe not.

Ken, I have been going to Raleigh for 3 or 4 weeks now fighting these issue's along with several other people that cares alot about our sport. If you had to listen to all the negative situations that has happened because of hunters, you may understand that the HB 762 is a great thing. Last week if SB 374 would have went through you would have had some issues! There is one thing for sure, they ain't making anymore land and to hunt we must be able to go this land. Unposted land will soon be extinct as well as the kind land owners that lets us hunt. We must work with the land owners to ensure when your daughter and my daughter has some grand children for us we will still be able to enjoy our hounds with them. We (hunters) have a responsibility to fight for our rights to be able to hunt and every year we are going to be faced with issues, I just hope and pray they don't get no worst than this 762 bill. Last week the SB 374 bill had a retieval clause on it but it was on UNposted land and it was on foot only. No retrieval on posted land unless you had written permission and the way it read you couldn't stop on the road and pick your hound up unless you had written permission from land abutting to the highway. They said they were not going to enforce that way but who know's how each officer was going enforce it. Good luck with your letters to vote "no"!

Rod

Rod,

If you had to listen to all the negative situations that has happened because of hunters, you may understand that the HB 762 is a great thing.

You're right - I didn't hear the situations, so I'm curious (and these are serious questions). Of all the negative situations that you listened to, how many of them were not ALREADY illegal? And how many situations that were NOT already illegal will now be illegal because of this law?

I just don't see what possible useful thing this bill does. If I take off my hunting cap for a moment and put on my landowner cap, here is how I see the bill:
    You STILL have to have permission to go on my land. Nothing about that has changed. All that has changed is that now the state is telling me a verbal contract is no longer legally acceptable and that all contracts and permissions must be written. Basically, my word is worthless to the state. I have to write it down for it to "count". Then, on top of that, even though it's MY land, *I* don't get to decide who is prosecuted for being on it...the STATE does. Somehow that doesn't surprise me, though, coming from a state that can send people on my land to do an archeological survey during turkey season without my permission..... For a "landowner rights protection act", it sure does make me feel more and more like the state thinks it's THEIR land that they just let me use......

Re: Rod

Ken, I agree if you are a land owner should have the right to say who can go on your land. I also think you should have the right to post your land and have someone to patrol it for intruders and be able to prosecute them. There are land owners that has their land posted and people still go on it and may even damage property because it is posted (still hunters vs dog hunters) so to speak, any way you look at it is bad for one good for another. I'm just glad this is all (so far) we are going to get out of it , for a dog hunters prospective.